Ahhh… Another day off, and another chance to share my latest thoughts and experiences with all you wonderful visitors here at the ol’ Litterbox. It’s been quiet here at home these last few weeks, and because I’ve pledged to myself to loosen up a bit and take some chances, I figured it was time to share something of a more personal nature with you all.
Lately as I’ve been surfing about, I’ve noticed that 2010 seems to have every blog I read making those “Top 10” lists a “must have”. So who is this lil’ Catgirl to argue with such a trend. But…. who wants just another tired old list of “Top 10 News Stories” or “10 Best Films of 2010” or “10 Celebrity Scandals of the Year”…. Certainly not me.
Nope. There’s just no way I could waste your time repeating any of those… it just wouldn’t have the “personal” touch my Diary posts have come to be known for. I know… I know… you think you all know this wacky, somewhat neurotic lil’ kitten pretty well by now. But there are a few things I haven’t shared…. till now, although I’m mostly toooo boring a lady to have as many as 10 secrets for you….. Anyway…. for those of you with a burning need to complete your “Neko-knowledge” I bring you… “5 Things You’ve Never… Ever… Known About Your Favorite Catgirl Princess”.
Let’s see…. where o’ where to begin?…. Well, here they go… in no particular order.
5) Neko Can’t Swim!! – Yep, despite many attempts to teach me over the years… I still can’t swim. Not a lick. This one probably results mostly from the fact that neither of my parents can swim either… so naturally there weren’t trips to the beach.. or the community pool… or even the ol’ swimmin’ hole when I was a wee girl. Yes… there was that gym class in middle school for this… but… It was then I discovered my tiny lil’ body stubbornly refuses to float like all human being are reputed to do. Nope! I sink… like a pebble right to the bottom. (At which time I panic, promptly start drowning, and that usually ends the “fun” of the whole experience..) Turns out not everybody can float… it requires a certain muscle to fat ratio that I didn’t have and a measure of relaxation which I seem never to attain. Oh well… dry land for this lil’ kitten!
4) Neko Has Never… Ever… Had a Driver’s License!! – Something that originally started when I nearly wrecked the first car I ever got behind the wheel of… a boyfriend’s car waaaay back in High School. After that I just never tried to learn again…. and whenever anyone would insist I should learn, I stubbornly dragged my heels against the idea. I’ve never really regretted this rather quirky and characteristically pigheaded decision… as I’ve always managed to make do without. I’ve always lived, worked, and shopped all within walking distance of wherever I have been throughout my life. While helping to keep me lean and fit over the years,it has also lead to some strange things occurring now and again. I was actually almost denied reentry to the US from a day-trip to Canada 10 years or so ago with some friends. It was incomprehensible to the Border Patrol and Customs that ANY adult American would have absolutely NO record of a driver’s license… even though I did at the time have a valid US passport with me!! I can still remember the idiotic Customs guy slipping in a few questions in Mandarin during my interview in a “clever” attempt to trip me up and prove I was really an illegal Chinese immigrant… no kidding! It took an hour to convince them then, and since 9/11 has actually made things harder I’ve never tried to go to Canada again… Who knows what sort of problems I’d have now!! I’m also given loads of problems getting into Bars and Nightclubs… and looking 10 years younger than my actual age has never ever helped either!!
3) Neko Dislikes Phones!! – I really.. really.. REALLY don’t like talking on the phone. I’ve never owned a cell phone either. Just don’t like them…. at all. Part of it probably stems from my general unease at speaking to someone who’s face I can’t see… and part of it is probably the way I’ve always thought the telephone was one of the worst utilized inventions ever. Carolyn is genuinely exasperated with this particular quirk of mine…. she just can’t seem to live without her cellphone and not being able to call me at the drop of a hat or text me about something makes her crazy sometimes. But I just don’t like them…. deep down inside I find the whole idea of having a phone constantly ringing at me….fighting for my attention…. annoying. The rest is probably just another of my irrational quirks… as well as a part of Secret #2
2) Neko Is A Wee Bit Deaf… – Yep…. ever since birth. Although only close friends and acquaintances are really aware of it, I suffer from a measure of hearing loss, mostly in my left ear. It’s a birth defect… something to do with those little bones that vibrate along with your eardrum…. and as a result I miss chunks of conversation, mishear things, and the like. Ahhhh, yes…. and it’s probably one of the main reasons I don’t like talking on the phone…. Unfortunately the range of frequencies mostly affected fall right within the range of human speech…. D’ohhh!! I was nearly 5 years old before it really got noticed, and by then I’d mostly taught myself to compensate for it with a combination of positioning and lip reading without even realizing I needed to. Children, myself included, are amazingly resilient and resourceful it seems. A hearing aid was considered… but the Audiologists and doctors decided I was functional enough without it, and that it would more likely result in distraction from background noises I’m not even aware of.
1) Neko is More Than a Wee Bit Paranoid….. – Not in the psychotic agoraphobic “crazy cat-lady” sort of way, but still I’m really a very cautious woman. How cautious you ask? Well… although it’s embarrassing to mention, I’ve got a number of very odd quirks regarding my own personal safety. Let’s see….
Ahhh… I “window shop”…. But…. not to actually shop you see… often I catch myself doing it to be able to glance in a window just to see who might be following along behind me on the street. Sound a wee bit crazy? How about my habit of never taking the same route as I walk to work? Yep…. routine can be the thing that makes you vulnerable and that’s something I live in dread of. You already know my particular dread of “torture-porn” movies…. all part of my particular phobia, I guess. There are others… such as my desire to always be aware of the entrances and exits in any public place I might be in. Weirdly enough…. those locations, as full of people as they might be, never worry me as much a locations with only a couple of strangers in them. Go figure….
Strangely enough, I’ve never been threatened… attacked… or endangered in any meaningful way in my whole life. Honest!! Not even close. I’ve often wondered if my phobia in this regard was linked to some tragic episode in a past life…. It isn’t overwhelming and in no way prevents me from being a functional person, but it is very noticeable if you know me really well. (And only the level of comfort I’ve slowly come to feel here at the Litterbox lets me write about this one at all…. Thank goodness for the relative anonymity of the Internet…)
Whew….. Ok…. so now that you know what sort of crazy kitten I am, next time out I’m hoping we can get back to the fun of sharing my latest views on the nutty offbeat cinema that we all love, but hate to admit. That is if you don’t now all think I”m a total mental case that is….Hehehehe!!
Till then… “Meow, meow, for now!!”